The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is scheduled to arrive in April 2022. It’s aim is to help homeowners in England and Wales with affording the upfront costs of air source and ground source heat pumps (ASHP/GSHP).
Who is eligible for BUS?
Here are some of the key eligibility criteria to help you check if you’d be covered:
- The property in question must be in England or Wales
- All homeowners, small landlords and private landlords will be eligible to apply
- Self-build homes will be eligible
- ASHP’s and GSHP’s will be eligible. Biomass boilers will be eligible but with additional conditions applied
What won’t be covered by BUS?
- Any home outside England or Wales
- New build developments
- Social housing properties
- Hydrogen boilers and Hybrid Heat Pumps (e.g. where a boiler and a heat pump are used in combination)
How much am I entitled to?
Currently, the BUS will contribute £5,000 towards the purchase of an ASHP or biomass boiler, and £6,000 for a GSHP
We’re here to help – but don’t delay too long
The BUS is a great way to significantly reduce the upfront costs of getting a heat pump installed. But it is not a bottomless pit. The current funding will only cover 90,000 payments. Sounds a lot but it’s a growing market, and the scheme has generated a lot of awareness and interest. Furthermore, initial government guidance suggests that the release of the funding will be staggered over three years. That means that the scheme could intermittently close and re-open if quarterly thresholds are hit.
We check BUS eligibility as standard when assessing your home’s suitability for a heat pump. We can confirm whether you are likely to be covered and quote you a design, installation and commissioning cost with the BUS contribution already factored in. If you choose to proceed then we’ll be there to guide you through the application process, helping to ensure that you don’t risk missing out.
Firstly, we’ll get you to complete our online Home Survey. This helps us capture some key details and also means we can provide you with indicative costings. We’ll also be able to confirm your BUS eligibility. If you are then happy with everything we’ll walk you through the next steps.