Whether you’re tired of waking up to icy-cold floors or you’re simply looking for a more cost-effective emitter system, there are umpteen reasons to install underfloor heating. In this article, we discuss the main benefits of underfloor heating and what it can bring to your home.
Benefits of underfloor heating systems
- Underfloor heating systems are cited to be up to 25% more efficient than conventional radiators: Underfloor heating systems have a large surface area, practically turning the floor of any room into a giant radiator. This means you reduce the flow temperature beyond what is possible with conventional radiator panels (usually to around 40 or even 35°C) without leading to a drop in room temperature. This is additionally beneficial to your heat pump, as it’s more efficient at lower flow temperatures. The better the energy efficiency, the lower the running costs.
- Relatively cheap to install: For the added luxury of warm feet, lower running costs and better overall heating, you can expect to pay approximately £20 – £30 per m² for a quality underfloor heating system install (according to Homebuilding & Renovating).
- Decrease the carbon footprint of your home with an underfloor heating system: Thanks to their high energy efficiency, underfloor heating systems are an excellent choice for eco-home builders.
- Little maintenance required: Providing they’re installed correctly, underfloor heating systems need very little seeing to. Since they’re installed beneath the floor, they’re also less likely to be damaged.
- Can be used in virtually any type of floor construction and covering: Thanks to the sheer variety of additional components that they come with, underfloor heating systems are a viable option for almost any application.
- Ideal for allergy sufferers: While radiators cause convection currents to circulate airborne dust around your home, underfloor heating systems radiate heat, making them an ideal choice for homeowners with allergies.
- Improved heat distribution: A radiator will warm the air around it, causing it to rise to the ceiling. When this warm air cools, it will fall to the floor to be warmed again. This is an inefficient means of heating a room, and it also leads to hot and cold spots. Underfloor heating systems provide a much more even distribution of heat.
- Frees up wall space: An interior designer’s best friend, rooms with underfloor heating are no longer constrained by the radiators dotted around the room.
- Increase the value of your home: As the preferred emitter system in the UK, having underfloor heating installed may give your property the extra benefit over others’ when it comes to selling.
- Warm feet!
As you can see, there are numerous benefits of underfloor heating. If you’d like to find out more about our underfloor heating system install process, go to our what we do page here.